Spelling and words
The National Curriculum states there are words the children need to be able to read and spell by the end of Year 1. These are called common exception words. These words are the ones in the children's word pockets and spelling books, with a few more useful words such as colours, days of the week and numbers.
You can help your child practise these words in fun ways:-
- try writing them on a wall with a paintbrush and water
- make the words with sticks, playdough or lego
- write them in a tray of sand, shaving foam or flour
- make a snap or pairs game to play together
- try the activities on 'ICT games' on a tablet or PC (links Below)