At our school DT is an important aspect of our curriculum which develops the children's thinking, creative and independent skills. Through our DT led projects the children design, make and evaluate products using a design criteria. The successful outcomes and products range from model playground equipment and shelters to puppets, vehicles and healthy snacks.
The National Curriculum states :-
'Through a variety of creative and practical activities, pupils should be taught the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an iterative process of designing and making.
They should work in a range of relevant contexts, for example, the home and school, gardens and playgrounds, the local community, industry and the wider environment.
When designing and making, pupils should be taught to:
- design purposeful, functional, appealing products for themselves and other users based on design criteria
- generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through talking, drawing, templates, mock-ups and, where appropriate, information and communication technology.
- select from and use a range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks for example, cutting, shaping, joining and finishing
- select from and use a wide range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their characteristics.
- explore and evaluate a range of existing products
- evaluate their ideas and products against design criteria
Below you will find the Project Overviews for each year group.
In Year R DT skills are taught through the ' Expressive Arts and Design' section of the Early Years' Curriculum.
This section involves teaching and exploring skills and materials with the following outcomes:-
- - Safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function,
- Share their creations, explaining the process they have used.
- Make use of props and materials when role playing characters in narratives and stories.
Year R Year 1 Year 2
Year R Projects
Year 1 Design and Technology Overview
The Year 1 DT led Projects are 'Pick a Puppet' and 'Handa's Healthy Cafe', a food tech project.