The letters of the alphabet can be divided into ‘movement groups’, based on the movement made to start writing the letter. We use these groups when teaching the children how to form each letter.
The letter families the children know are:
- long ladder letters
- curly caterpillar letters
- one armed robot letters
- zig zag letters
Fun ways to practise your handwriting at home
There are lots of ways to practise letter formation and handwriting.
- paint brush and water on a wall or patio
- painting the letters
- using chalk or felt tips
- using a finger in a tray of sand, shaving foam or flour
- using different coloured paper or on large pieces of paper
- children to skywrite letters in the air
Watch a video to show you how to form your letters.
Remember to practise forming your numbers as well.